Dramatic weather brings an excuse to find a cozy corner and indulge in food and drink that speak to the season. Hot cocoa or toddy, braised meats and hearty stews highlight winter menus.
To score a seat by the fire is all the better. Below find suggestions for respite from the cold.
5. For pampering: Eleven Restaurant in The Strip
Among China Millman's four-star restaurants, Big Burrito's Eleven offers refined plates and graceful service.
4. For cheap eats: Eat'n Park in Squirrel Hill
Eat'N Park's remodel offers stone accents and a fireplace by which to sit and sip hot cocoa, 24 hours a day.
3. For the wine list: Toast! Kitchen and Wine Bar in Shadyside
Crispy pork, roasted beets and brisket are on the menu here, where patrons can sample tastes or bottles of old and new world wines.
2. For a cocktail: 1947 Tavern in Shadyside
Order an old-fashioned and grab a seat at this charming neighborhood bar with terrific ambiance.
1. For the neighborhood: Monterey Pub in the Northside
Hearty pub food and a local clientele make this spot a destination even for those who live outside the neighborhood.
For a comprehensive list, the Post-Gazette offers more over here.